Dark Flow - a 'cinematic' shmup

This forum is for discussing shmup development, tools, engines and techniques.

Dark Flow - a 'cinematic' shmup

Postby Legendre » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:28 am

Hi shmup developers!

We would like to introduce you all to the game our small team has been working on for the last three years: Dark Flow. We are attempting to break ground in several directions at once, and ours is not a typical shoot-em-up--especially in the context of the danmaku-dominated shmup scene of the last few years.

Our game might be best described as a "cinematic shoot-em-up." Neither a strictly horizontal or vertical scroller, our goal with Dark Flow is to create a different kind of scripted gameplay experience. The holy grail of the "interactive movie" has been sought after by many game genres, and we think that the shmup gameplay formula offers a unique opportunity towards this goal. Think Philosoma, Ether Vapor, or Astebreed...but with an even more dynamic camera rig:

The enemy scripting, bullet pattern design, and boss gameplay is still developing, and we would really appreciate some input from some shmup enthusiasts such as yourselves. Towards this end, we are requesting a little playtesting help. If you have a game in development of your own we would be happy to do the same for you in return (although we would need a Mac build.)

We have both Mac and Windows builds available. If you are at all interested, please send us an email. Thanks for taking the time to check us out, we hope to show you all more in the coming months.

-Aureus Studios

AureusStudio@gmail.com

Site Admin

Re: Dark Flow - a 'cinematic' shmup

Postby monoRAIL » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:49 am

Looks great. The flyby of the large yellow ship reminds me of stage 3 of R-Type, but obviously much more dynamic and exciting. Looking forward to seeing more of this game!

Postby Cristian_CL » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:16 am

I have tried earlier versions of Dark Flow and it is very promising! I wish the developers great success.

Postby krmko » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:50 pm

I haven't seen this type of game since i played some star wars game with x-wing flying through a preanimated canyon and shooting at tie fighters (it was when cd-roms first appeared :D). It's looking good and fun!

ImageImageImage

Return to Development