[Browser] SpeedLazer

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

[Browser] SpeedLazer

Postby THAiSi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi, I'm working on a HTML5 game called SpeedLazer. I work on it during spare time and lunch breaks :D

You can play the game here, using keyboard (arrows + space) or gamepad

http://speedlazer.net

The game is in development, but it is playable none the less :)

You can follow the game on facebook or twitter for updates, but I guess I will update this thread as well ;)

Site Admin

Re: [Browser] SpeedLazer

Postby monoRAIL » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:01 am

Hello there, welcome to the forum. You game looks great - looks like you've put a lot of work into it already. I have a few suggestions for improvements.

When using the keyboard to move, the ship is moving too fast on diagonals. You need to clamp the movement vector to 1 unit long to prevent diagonal movement being too fast (for example you can multiply the x and y values by 0.7 when moving diagonally).
You won't notice this when playing with a joystick because the circular gate on the analog stick automatically clamps the motion to prevent non-normalized input.

Also, the player's bullets and enemy bullets are too similar visually. It's critical in a shmup to spot the enemy's bullets and dodge them, but also making the player's gun look powerful improves the feel of the game. Take a look at UN Squadron to see what I mean.

The enemy bullets flash and the player's gun feels very powerful right from the start. Your game reminds me of UN Squadron already, which is a good thing!

Lastly, your vocal sound effects are fun, but if you want to achieve something more arcade-like try BFXR for sound effects. It's free. http://www.bfxr.net/

Postby THAiSi » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks for the feedback! I will certainly look into it. The sound effects are temporary, and voiced by my son at the moment :-)
I will improve on that when I have rewritten the sound system. At the moment it uses HTML5 audio tags, but needs desperately to be rewritten to use HTML 5 web audio API.

Postby THAiSi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:46 pm

Just wanted to let you know I tried to implement the clamping of the diagonal in the crafty.js framework, but there are some kinks in the implementation that still need to be resolved.
https://github.com/craftyjs/Crafty/pull/1048

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:26 am

I see someone else suggested that you normalize the input vector, but as you pointed out that's incorrect because it could extend a short vector. The correct solution is to clamp the length of input vectors longer than 1 down to 1.

Postby THAiSi » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:35 pm

I updated the game, the bigger bullets, the clamping and character portraits are added (character portrait of 2nd pilot and 1st boss still need to be made)

Return to Showcase