New members, introduce yourself here!

Discuss shoot-em-ups, and games in general.
Site Admin

New members, introduce yourself here!

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Great to see all the new members joining up recently. We need a thread for people to introduce themselves so here it is. I'll start it off.

My name's Conor O'Kane, I'm a game developer and teacher. I took over maintenance and administration of shmup-dev.com and this forum a couple of years ago from motorherp. I started making shmups with Torque2D but now I'm mainly using the Unity engine. You can see links to my past shmups in my signature below, and if you'd like to see what I'm currently working on then check out http://blog.cokane.com.

Re: New members, introduce yourself here!

Postby RipperRoo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 pm

Hah, so ive already had influence on the forum ;)

My name is Ahmet Schmengler and im a student from germany. I m really bad at programming, but i love the idea of creating games. thats why i thought i d start with a shmup. Im Using Unity3d and i hope i can learn enough here to make my game enjoyable.

my shmup

Postby QewQew » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:42 pm

hello all,

my names Quwaine, and im a first year student at university studying games technology, im currently learning c++ and my course is also teaching me different techniques and how to implement different things using the language, i decided that i want to make shmups as i just love the general idea of the game, along with having a deep love for most of the CAVE shmups (in particular DoDonPachi daioujou) so i want to be able to make games that i have a deep passion for

Postby MsTei » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:26 am

Hi everyone!

My name is Alice. I am a game programmer and composer, currently for A Quiver of Crows. I can also art (sometimes).

I am a shy creature by nature with a tendency to lurk.

I also have 3 jobs right now that are unrelated to each other (but let's not get into that HA).

If you have any questions, feel free to ping me, and I'll get back to you ASAP. But I've gotta warn you - I'm Jill-of-all-trades and master of none. :D

Postby Darthsith » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:19 pm

Hey People

i am Vas

I'am mainly 2D/3D ''artist'' but i enjoy learning new subjects. I am trying to learn a programming on my own via you tube and tutorial's (almost impossible) .

I did start a 3d race game some beta footage on my you tube channel i use to share with friends https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdSpE ... UgWiohucBQ . I stopped working on it due to Unity engine bugs and lack of direction.

Shumps have only in last say 3 years become a genre i enjoy playing, i have built up a large collection since and like to attempt one myself.

Looking forward to exploring the forum.

If i can help in anyway hit me up

Postby LelandLL » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:06 am

Hello I'm Leland

I'm been practicing my programming for 2 years seeking to get my first game built, i've been interested in building an SHUMP for an week.

Right now, i am building an SHUMP/Space Shooter called "ModelType". Right now i look forward to learning new things and techniques about making SHUMP

If you have Examples, Tutorials/Resources that you want to share with others or want to message me. Let me know!

Postby Pixel_Outlaw » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Huh, thought I posted here but guess now.

I've been programming since I was 17 in various languages.
I started with Game Maker but don't really count that since I mostly just toyed with drag n drop functionality back in the day.
(2004 I think?)
Tried learning C++ and succeeded, learning a good portion of it (C++98)
Moved to Blitzmax at the suggestion of Matt McFarland the original Shmup-Dev founder. Found it could handle a lot more on screen than Game Maker could back in the day.
I then started college and became a regular on the old Shmup-Dev since I had time between classes.
While I college I learned Python for a machine learning course. I love Python and still use it a LOT.
I also picked up Common Lisp because I wanted to learn a traditional lisp dialect after reading Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution.
I read and worked through an introductory Java book but found that it wasn't dynamic enough for me as a language.
I also worked my way through the original edition of K&R learning 1970's C for the experience.
I went back to C++11 for a few months and just didn't have the stomach for all the new layers of complexity and rampant template code. (5 types of memory pointer now!?)
I picked up Scheme recently because I liked Common Lisp and wanted to see how the other faction lived. Scheme is good, I like it too.
I purchased a book on Perl a few months ago but just lost interest for some reason. Maybe I'll get back to it some day.

I use Linux mostly which means I'll have to port everything I do but I'm fine with that I guess.

Postby Prado » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi, I am Prado, I'm a huge fan of old games and classic games. I noticed that shmups haven't great fangames like other genres. For example, those are the only complete shmup fangames I know:

G-type
Nemesis Online (this one is still incomplete, but is totally playable)
Salamander NG (not a very good game...)
Unnoficial Salamander 3

I have seen on youtube clones and fangames of Gradius and Nemesis that were abandoned before any release.

So...

If someone has already played Super Mario Bros X, you know how crazy funny is to have a fangame with a level editor.

Last year I was trying to make a Gradius/R-type fangame in Clickteam Fusion, but I gave up due to lack of motivation, procrastination and lack of skill and knowledge with this engine. I wasn't planning a level editor on CTF. I got this idea recently, ~4 months after giving up. I want to make a fangame like SMBX, but with Gradius and R-type. I think that CTF isn't for me. I started studying programming languages some months ago, and I think that Unity is good for me, but I'm not sure what I will use now...

Thanks for reading all my boring story :mrgreen:
I'm active at the SMBX forums:

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/

Postby premieritzone » Sat May 14, 2016 5:51 am

hello Forum members, i'm new member in the forum, i'm hardeep freelancer web designer living in Delhi

Postby Gunslinger Petey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello, forum members. This is Petey.
I work with the game-developing community in Argentina. Love shmups and graphic adventures.

Next

Return to General Discussion