Spambots

Discuss shoot-em-ups, and games in general.
Site Admin

Spambots

Postby monoRAIL » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:30 am

Looks like the spambots have figured out the registration questions! We had over 200 posts and around 1000 new users sign up in the last 3 days. I've deleted all new accounts over the last 3 days and removed the spam posts.

Registration on the forum now requires my personal approval before posting is allowed.

If you're a spambot owner - take a close look at this forum. There is no spam because I monitor the forum carefully and delete any advertising posts. So don't waste your time here.

Site Admin

Re: Spambots

Postby monoRAIL » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:40 pm

I've temporarily disabled forum registration while I implement tougher spambot registration prevention measures. Should be available again later today.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:10 am

Registration is open again, now with tougher anti-spambot questions.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 am

I'm still getting hundreds of registration attempts a day from spambots. If you're trying to register and I haven't approved your account yet feel free to email me and I'll approve you right away.

Postby kdmiller3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:41 am

Man, these guys are determined. I hope they give up soon so you don't have to keep dealing with them.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:59 am

There's too many of them for me to manually approve, so I'm switching to queued posts for new users. That means your first 3 posts won't show up until approved by a moderator, after that you're a full user and can post freely.

Postby mthw » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Well, the register then email monorail to prove you;re real worked at least :-)

I have a suggestion. Why not make the forum invite only so that you send out a link that allows registration. Then just state in order to join they need to send you an email with a specific subject line and a message (which you can then filter by in your email app of choice). That way, no one can get in without your permission, and no spam.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:01 pm

I'll look into that. The trouble is these spammers are helped by humans in the registration phase (to answer the difficult anti-bot question) so I'm sure they could send a convincing email.

Postby mthw » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 am

I guess they could, but it's whether it then becomes just too much hassle for them. Worth a try I reckon, plus even if they get through it will be the odd one or two, not lots, right.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Switching over to that system now. Upon registering users will get a message explaining that they'll need to email me to activate their account. Hopefully spambots won't understand it and their human helpers won't want to take the time.

Next

Return to General Discussion