quick question

This forum is for discussing shmup development, tools, engines and techniques.

quick question

Postby QewQew » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:15 am

im making a shump project for university (1st year student), its nothing great and really basic with limited effects, but i was wondering as to how i can delete or clear the boss sprite without making it a list since i only intend to use it once during the game, another thing that i would be grateful for is if someone could explain or help me figure out how i would go about making a cone like bullet pattern for the enemies/bosses without using a bullet script or shooting bullets from 4 different points on one enemy sprite

Re: quick question

Postby kdmiller3 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:11 am

It's hard to give an answer without more detail. What programming language and/or framework are you working in?

For the cone pattern, would it be waves of bullets that spread, a random spray, or what?
In any case, you could just launch them from the same point in slightly different directions.
(This is a case where trigonometric functions like sin() and cos() can be useful)

Postby QewQew » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:45 am

im using c++ to make the game, and i could give examples of the code if need be

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi QewQew, it sounds like you're asking some very fundamental questions about shmup-development, so you might benefit from reading some of the tutorials on the older forum. There is an archive of all the old forum posts, and the tutorials board would be of particular use to you: http://cokane.com/shmupdevarchive/index.php?board=87.0

If you're more interested in making a shmup than learning C++ programming techniques then I'd recommend you use a game engine like Unity3D or Game Maker, as these come with the tools to handle creating and deleting sprites and spawning bullets.

Postby QewQew » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:22 pm

thanks alot, ive been going through them and trying to learn as much as i can :D

Return to Development