[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
shmup-dev | forum - View topic - Awaken:Underwater Odyssey - teaser aviable

Awaken:Underwater Odyssey - teaser aviable

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

Awaken:Underwater Odyssey - teaser aviable

Postby Tryzna » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:46 am

Hello everyone! I spent quite some time on this forum and site looking for hints, opinions and inspiration. Time has come to register account here and share my first project with you as im looking for criticism and feedback to make my game better.

STORY: My shmup takes place in far future on a terrafmorphed neptune planet. Terramorphed, in this case means turning hydrogen and oxygen in to water, creating huge ocean world underneath ice surface. Player is part of second big expedition from earth whitch came thousand years after the terramorphing proces started, sent there to colonize the planet and start gathering valuable gasses and other rare resources. Base of players operation is Leviathan command ship whitch is huge submarine carrying fleet of smaller vessels in its belly and when main colony loses contact with one of mining stations Leviathan is sent there to investigate.
When Leviathan arrives above mining station coordinates, Kraken squad is deployed and is your task to found out whats going out down on the bottom as contact, or sensor sweep is impossible becouse of huge ammount of metal rich smoke in the area.
Right when you and your squad members approach the mining site, you ll be under heavy attack by swarms of bio-mechanical vessels, without knowledge who they are, or where are they from. Bit of their origin is revealed just before first boss emerges as your ship sensors recognize boss as ancient earth design enhanced with many modifications. Suddenly everything become more clear when your ship computer analyze enemy transmission and translates message as "Kill the traitors!".
Player ll discover piece of truth during and after each of the mission, to found out his squadron is not fighting aliens, but remains of first human expedition everyone tought never survived terramorphing process.

ENGINE: Stencyl. Yes, i decided to use this click and drag environment as my coding skills are seriously outdated as last time i wrote line of code was more than 15yrs ago and not even on PC. It has some nasty limitations(like lack of options to control scrolling backgrounds), but performance is nice and it serves my purposes well. Main reason to use stencyl was that iam a lone wolf and except music im doing whole game by my self. Actualy i wanted to record even music by my self, but found great artist willing to provide his tracks for the game and as i had quite long break playing my guitar and especialy composing i was more than happy i can check done by the music on "to do" list.

MUSIC: djent/electro like. Whole soundtrack can be listened at artists homepage at:

GAMEPLAY: When i started working on the game in February this year. My knowledge of shmup genere was very limited. All i knew was Raptor and Tyrian whitch were my favourites and i remembered 1942 arcade machine from my childhood whitch stood in a shop just in front of elementary school i was going to(yes i spent most of my pocket money on it;-)).
I wanted to create simple arcade game, and the more time i spent working on the game, the more i anticipated. Especialy when i started to look for today popular shmups and found my new favourites: Jamestown and Danmaku 2 unlimited. These two games had a lot of influence on me and began endles tide of "rework everything" waves.

Still, my game is simple shmup when you are able to upgrade your ship between the missions, but i have few additions to build up atmosphere and to add somethink extra.
There is a lot of communication with your squadron mates during the missions and i want to make them feel like a real mates, player ll like and rely on. Even considering adding voiceover as reading subtitles during a mission is not a good idea but i would like to keep the game as small as possible as its my first project. However im still playing with this idea as i have actors from local theatre willing to lend their voices to ingame characters.
Second addition is commanding your squadron, you are able to call them on screen to support you for a while, and after that while they fly off screen to recharge their cooldown. As Kraken squadron consist of 3 vessels one of your mate is heavy armed variant of Orca gunship. When you call this mate he ll start firing torpedo volleys like an berseker and hes great mate to have by your side when screen gets flooded by enemy ships.
Second member of squadron is specialized support vessel, equiped with remote shield recharge device, however its firepower is quite limited.

Teaser is aviable on youtube at:

Dev. diary can be read here:
If you want to stay updated and support the game you can even like it on facebook at:

Thanks for reading and im looking forward to read your opinions!

Last edited by monoRAIL on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited YouTube link

Site Admin

Re: Awaken:Underwater Odyssey - teaser aviable

Postby monoRAIL » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:14 am

This looks great! Very colorful and nice animated effects. Looking forward to playing this - are you close to releasing a demo?
| | | |

Postby Tryzna » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks! Im glad you like what you saw from the game! The demo is issue on it self. I could release the demo within hours, but as i dont want to repeat my mistake of releasing very early flash version, just to be ashamed of it hours after release(only demo level background and players ship sprite avoided rework). Thats why want to take my time and add all the features i would like to have in game first and dont rush to release the crap as first impression is hard to overcome later. Right now im managing to add at least a bit to the game every day so the demo might be closer than it seems from my sentences above. Dont want to make any promises, but my guess is 1-2 months from now;-)
Still, so much work ahead of me as i want the game to offer solid gaming experience with at least couple of hours long storyline campaign. And many hours of gameplay completing achivements/chalenges and additional missions designed for fully equiped Kraken squad whitch ll unlock after completing the campaign.

Postby RedCoatVernac » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:43 pm

I'd say you have the right idea, taking your time with the demo. However I would caution waiting too long. It's very easy for a game to fall into eternal development limbo. That aside, I like the base concept, and the visual aesthetic is very unique. You chose your musician well. The rock and electronic fusion (some would say industrial, but I'm not all that good with genre distinction) works well with the material. Gets the blood pumpin' which I definitely like. It still maintains a sense of futuristic awe though, so yeah, kudos to Develop Device on an amazing soundtrack.

For your next trailer, it might do some good to enlarge the title and information text, or to do a snap cut to a screen that is just text to emphasize the information (Possibly black text on white background). As it stands, your most recent trailer does its job (showcasing what the player should expect from the game) but the text information (in particular the data about when it is to be released) blends in with the action. That said, your font of choice is great, and the general information you select to impart is well chosen. Just a little more work to clarify and push the information into the watcher's brain and I think you'll be set.

I'm looking forward to seeing the demo and the finished product!

Postby Tryzna » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks for the useful hints RedCoatVernac! Sometimes when im working on somethink for a while, watching and checking it hundered times then i just forgot about basic rulles you mentioned as brain is focusing elsewhere and these reminders are worth gold then. I ll definetly try to remind them in about a month when i ll be hopefuly compiling demo and making demo release trailer.

Anyway, the weekend is almost over and im back with another teaser. This time im going to showcase wingmans and their abilities.

The system is pretty simple as as one of the wingmans is firing torpedoes one after another so his purpose is to help player out of tight situations when player is overwhelmed by smaller enemies.

Second one is pilotoing support ship whit ability to rapid recharge shield energy and adds bit of firepower as well. His usage if pretty obvious, call him in and he ll recharge your shield over few seconds so you ll be able to take another hit.

Both wingmans fire additionals torpedoes simultaneously with player IF the player have both torpedo shafts loaded. This restriction was added becouse i want players who plan usage of special weapons and use them precisely to benefit even more from this ability, while players who are just mashing torpedo launch button like psycho ll get no exra benefit from this wingman ability as they ll probably never gonna have both torpedoes loaded at a time.

It was a bussy week and im glad i ve got squad control ready and working however i dont consider this part of the game finished as there is still some extra potential left to play with.

Thanks for reading and you can watch the Kraken squad introduction teaser here:
Last edited by monoRAIL on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited YouTube link

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:37 am

I always like shmups with wingmen or options. By the way, you can display YouTube videos directly in your post using the [youtube] [/youtube] tags. Just put the YouTube url between the tags (using http not https).
| | | |

Postby Tryzna » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:37 am

Oh, thanks for edits monoRail! Now i know how it works;-)

Yeah, i came up with wingmen couse i loved them in Scramble Formation from Taito. We ve got the game as an arcade machine for a while in a sweet shop in front of elementary and it was really good however we kept playing ninja spirit as it costed half the price to play it(0.25usd for a credit at the time for ninja spirit and 0.5usd for Scramble formation). Great times, so sad they ll never return as now i dont have to sell my school lunch ticket so i could go play arcade machines;-)

Anyway, im sorry the latest teaser is not as good as previevous one as i fellt quite sick while working on it(damn flu)and i ll never make that mistake again. The weekned really burned me out and thats why im taking a "break" this week and i ll spend it just playing shmups as i underestimated theoretical preparations before i started with Awaken developement and have to catch up now. I ve got some ideas, but most of them turned out to be wrong or had negative impact on gameplay.
I ve allready made some changes to the game yesterday: increased firing rate(double) of player ship and speeded up a bullets(now it creates nice hair of bullets). Doubled speed of torpedoes to make them useful. Increased players ship speed a bit(i would keep it as it was if the game would have vertical screen orientation but considering the game have horizontal orientation i decided to boost it a bit). And right now im considering to make gun drones rotate around player as it would enhance the game visual impresion greatly(and i would use the elementary school math lesson i had to repeat yesterday while thinking how to calculate the coordinates for circular movement).

These little changes impacted gameplay greatly allready and im really happy about how the game plays now, however its still far from perfect and i ll have a hard time ballancing everything right. Anyway im glad the game is on the right way now and the demo release is getting closer.

Postby Tryzna » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Hello everyone!
Aftere some time whitch looked like a break im back with few updates about the game. I have started 3rd graphics overhaul as unfortunately my ability to combine pixels is still improving as i had no experience at all few months ago. That should be a great thing but unfortunately every new enemy looks better and better and every time i draw few new sprites i realize they do not fit well with the previevous ones:-/ However, while it brings me more work im trying not to be lazzy and take advantage of every improvement of my skills and use these to enhance the game.
While improving visuals is great thing, most of my focus belongs to gameplay. After lot o thinking and after making a lot of mistakes i finaly have "somethink" whitch plays really promising and finaly, actual version of the game is first version where i think the game plays really well. Still lot of work ahead of me as i had to proceed careful, pay attention to all the details as i found out designing entertaining level in shmup game is not just about placing wawes of enemies at random, expecting the fun ll come out of nowhere(i really tought it ll work somehow like that in the begining of this project).
Thank you for reading the update and I ll end this entry by few ingame screens and detail of brand new alien interceptor.

Postby Tryzna » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:35 am

Just rendered unedited gameplay video from yesterday testing. Let me know what do you think about it. Do you think there is too little enemies? To much? Do you think they should have more hit points to stay on screen bit logner?
Anyway thanks for watching!

Return to Showcase