The best way to control the scrolling of a shmup?

This forum is for discussing shmup development, tools, engines and techniques.

Re: The best way to control the scrolling of a shmup?

Postby wondersonic » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:47 am

Just notice that I didn't use iTween for the camera because of the jerky effect it produced (no smooth movements :( ).

Postby Spidyy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 am

Yeah and it will be the difficult part. iTween want to be simple, so it don't give access to a complexe Bezier set with all the control points. But for my stuff it is suffisient. :]

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 pm

iTween looks really useful. I've posted a news story about it on the front page.

Postby Stilghar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:40 pm

monoRAIL wrote:iTween looks really useful. I've posted a news story about it on the front page.

iTween is quite useful but its performance may be not good enough if you target mobile. For PC is fine. There are other options like HOTween and LeanTween with similar functionality and much better performance.

We also use several cameras in our game (Unity). Not only because this allows to have different scrolling speeds for different elements but also because you can have full control of the drawing order. For example in our game:

- Background is drawn first by a camera that scrolls at a certain speed.
- A fixed camera sees ONLY the player and the enemies that scroll to it. This is drawn on top of the background. Fixing the camera makes all the player and bullet movement much easier.
- A third camera sees ONLY bullets and other weapons. This is drawn on top of everything. This ensures that nothing obscures the bullets except the HUD.
- A fourth camera draws the HUD on top of everything.

For the moment we don't seem to have a performance hit due to layering cameras btw.
Indie Studio I belong to:
http://www.2awesomestudio.com/

My personal website on game development:
http://stilghar.wordpress.com/

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 am

Stilghar wrote:- Background is drawn first by a camera that scrolls at a certain speed.
- A fixed camera sees ONLY the player and the enemies that scroll to it. This is drawn on top of the background. Fixing the camera makes all the player and bullet movement much easier.
- A third camera sees ONLY bullets and other weapons. This is drawn on top of everything. This ensures that nothing obscures the bullets except the HUD.
- A fourth camera draws the HUD on top of everything.

This sounds like a really good solution for forced sorting in a game without orthographic cameras, So long as your background isn't interactive.

Previous

Return to Development