Let's think about SMBX level editor and shmups

This forum is for discussing shmup development, tools, engines and techniques.

Let's think about SMBX level editor and shmups

Postby Prado » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi,

I want to make a Gradius/R-type fangame with a level editor like Super Mario Bros X, allowing you to create your own episodes and levels. I would like to know if you recommend me to build the whole engine from scratch using real programming, or if you recommend me to use an engine and what engine you think is the better for this project.

Thanks
I'm active at the SMBX forums:

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/

Site Admin

Re: Let's think about SMBX level editor and shmups

Postby monoRAIL » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:47 am

Unless you're interested in programming an engine, rather than making a game, you should start with an existing game engine. The two most popular ones for making shmups at the moment are Game Maker (for entirely 2D games) or Unity (which can do 3D or 2D games). Game maker has a visual scripting system and a scripting language. Unity uses Javascript or C# for its scripting. I prefer Unity myself as it's more flexible.

Unreal is also a popular engine, and recently Amazon have released a free version of Cryengine called Lumberyard which looks very interesting.

Re: Let's think about SMBX level editor and shmups

Postby Prado » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:36 am

I have already used a game engine for a while, Clickteam Fusion. But I stopped making my Gradius fangame on it due to lack of motivation, procrastination and lack of skill and knowledge with this engine.
Since SMBX was done from scratch with Visual Basic, I have made a decision: I will study C++ and make my own engine. I know that I will waste years to have my project done, but I don't care to the time, there's no difference for me if I will take 1 or 10 years to make it.

And I will attend Computer Science, so I will have the knowledge sooner or later.
I'm active at the SMBX forums:

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/

Return to Development