Pros/cons of using Unity for SHMUP?

This forum is for discussing shmup development, tools, engines and techniques.

Pros/cons of using Unity for SHMUP?

Postby Hekovi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi guys,
I already have experience with Unity so I thought it could give me a quick start, especially with the new 2D-specific workspace.

The game I'm hoping to create would have:
*Very precise controls; no acceleration, dampening etc.
*A LOT of bullets & stuff on the screen
*2D graphics (well, maybe 2.5D, we'll see)
*Competitive 2-player mode on the same PC
*Ability to record & replay sessions

With those requirements in mind, how well do you think Unity would fit the bill? What kind of problems could I expect using it instead of creating my own engine?

Oh I also got access to Unity Pro at work, though apart from giving access to some advanced graphics stuff, I don't think it'd benefit this project a lot.

Site Admin

Re: Pros/cons of using Unity for SHMUP?

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 am

Two things you should take a look at:

1. Wondersonic's Unity shmup framework - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41
It's a very comprehensive shmup framework which could be used to make a complex game.

2. My lecture on shmup development with Unity, and example project - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=347
This is a very basic shmup example, but with some optimization.

I'd say the advantages of using Unity are that you'll get your game done much sooner. The disadvantages are that the engine might limit the design somewhat, and you may experience some performance issues unless you carefully optimize your collision layers. Zenzizenzic is made in Unity and it has very good performance (although with a fairly minimal art style) - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=345

Of all your requirements the only one which might be difficult is the ability to record & replay sessions. If you avoid using Unity's physics system, and ensure you always seed your random numbers the same, this might be possible.

Re: Pros/cons of using Unity for SHMUP?

Postby Hekovi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks for the reply monoRail!

I did browse through your lecture and it confirm a few things I was thinking about. Thanks for that! I'll have a look at Wondersonic's framework when I have the time; I'm sure it'll give me some tips.

You mentioned that the engine "might limit the design somewhat". What kind of limitations you were thinking of?

AS for performance, I was thinking of not using the Unity's physics engine at all and do the checks myself; this is because I'm planning to have very simple collisions (circles and a few line checks), and I'm interested in doing all that myself :P (I don't have any delusions of thinking I can do a better job, I just want to learn a few new things!) I am aware though that doing that in C# script instead of the native classes of Unity will not give me the best possible performance :/ We'll see how that will go :D

For the recording system, I got some ideas to try out. I will be avoiding the Unity's physics engine, and will do my input and movement updates myself in the FixedUpdate() -function. Also if I save the random seed number into the replay, in theory I should be able to generate exactly the same gameplay in a "recording game session". It's all very interesting and new to me; I'll post my tries here once I get there!

Return to Development