[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
shmup-dev | forum - View topic - Parenting woes with Unity3D

Parenting woes with Unity3D

This forum is for discussing shmup development, tools, engines and techniques.

Parenting woes with Unity3D

Postby Aerosol » Mon May 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Site Admin

Re: Parenting woes with Unity3D

Postby monoRAIL » Tue May 21, 2013 3:42 am

I don't think you can access the playfield's transform because you've declared it as type playfield...

var playfield : Playfield;

If you switch it to...

var playfield : GameObject;

then myTransform.parent = playfield.transform; will work. Then if you need to access the playfield's script just use...

playfield.GetComponent(Playfield).functionName();
| | | |

Postby Aerosol » Fri May 24, 2013 2:42 am

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Fri May 24, 2013 12:15 pm

You really don't need your player to follow a playfield anyway, you could just have the playfield scroll backwards, while the camera remains stationary.
| | | |

Postby Aerosol » Fri May 24, 2013 3:08 pm

I do need the player to follow the playfield. In fact, I need everything to follow the playfield as it moves about in 3D space. I'm making something the along the lines of R-Type Final. My plan is to have a plane (which I'm calling playfield) act as a 2D 'screen' that every object moves in relation to. And that screen will follow a path through a 3D area.

edit:I managed to get it working. I needed to assign something to the playfield variable. I had `playfield = new GameObject("Playfield")` but that's wrong, obviously. I needed to use GameObject.Find to assign the Playfield object that already existed to my playfield variable, which I didn't know about before.

Return to Development