Bots

Post feedback about this forum or the shmup-dev.com news page.

Bots

Postby SPIDER » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:04 am

Looks like bots found this forum, i suppose, would be nice to add some antibot measures, i suppose ^_^;.
I am suggesting email account activation, other alternative would be first x posts approval, i suppose.

Site Admin

Re: Bots

Postby monoRAIL » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 am

Amazingly, email account activation AND an anti-spambot quiz are already in operation. But they seem to have human help in signing up. I've deleted all the bot accounts and posts and will be making registration stricter (requiring me to personally authorize new users before they can post).

Postby kdmiller3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 pm

You'd think they would try to be subtle instead of blatantly crapping all over every topic and provoking an immediate cleanup response. Spammers are pretty much the lowest form of life on the Internet, though, so they probably don't think that far ahead. The sad thing is that it must pay out often enough to justify the effort, which make me even more sad for humanity...

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 am

These bots are actually looking for dead forums that they can obliterate with links to their site. This increases their google rankings, as google's bots can't distinguish legitimate links from spambots. So they're not like email spam that targets humans, they're actually targeting other bots.

Postby kdmiller3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:46 am

I noticed that a bunch of non-spam posts are missing. For eample, the "[WIP] PowerUp - Multiplayer iPad Shooter" thread is completely bare except for my replies.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:56 am

Oops - I deleted Dir3kt (a real person) along with all the spambot accounts. Sorry Dir3kt! Please re-create your account.

Postby kdmiller3 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:26 pm

It's a shame, too, since PowerUp looked like fun. I wonder if there's some way to contact him and get him to come back.
(Apparently his game started out as a Ludum Dare entry.)

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Dir3kt has actually re-enrolled on the forum since the Great Spam Assault. I've encouraged him to repost any of his missing submissions.

Return to Site Feedback