[WIP][PC][DEMO] Hawkwing | Retro shoot'em up!

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

[WIP][PC][DEMO] Hawkwing | Retro shoot'em up!

Postby LosGeekosStudio » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:57 pm

!!! UPDATE !!!

Grab the free demo (pay what you want) on the Los Geekos Studio site, Itch.io or GameJolt:

Have fun and tell me what you think about the demo!

!!! END OF EDIT !!!

Hi, my name's Greg, and i'm making Hawkwing, a retro shoot'em up, as Los Geekos Studio.

About the game
The game focus to recreate the feeling of late 80's / early 90's arcade and consoles shmups, with lot of action, colorful 2d low resolution sprites, medium sampling quality sounds and a catchy soundtrack emulated on those old chips.
For the moment, the plan is essentially to finish a full level of more than 5 minutes of gameplay, with variety of enemies, and a big bad boss! ;)

Then i'll release it as a free demo, and depending on the hype, i'll consider making a full game or not.
The game is built in C# with the Monogame framework.

Status
The demo level is done, enemies are too, i'm reworking the weaponry, few POW sprites, doing SFXs, musics and menus.

Features
  • Arcade controls for arcade action
  • Story & Arcade modes
  • 2 players local Coop
  • Only 1 long level for the demo version
  • Over 16 enemy types plus 1 boss
  • 6 Weapons, 4 POWs and 1 Secret
  • Playable on Keyboard, and 360/XbOne compatible controllers (PS4/Steam controllers could be added)

Platforms
Actually only planning a PC release. (Linux/MAC could be added)

Team
Just me.

Contacts
Weekly updates on IndieDB and TIGSource, follow me on Twitter, Facebook or the Los Geekos Studio Site, :D

Thanks you for reading, see you,
Greg

Screenshots

Last edited by LosGeekosStudio on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: [WIP][PC][DEMO] Hawkwing | Retro shoot'em up!

Postby lzardo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:41 am

Looks really promising, good work.

Would love to see that dragon moving.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:00 am

Love the visual style, reminds me of R-Type. Did you know there's already a game called Hawken? You might want to consider a name change so yours is more different to Hawken.

Postby LosGeekosStudio » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:26 pm

@Izardo: ;)
You can see a lot more animated stuffs in those Dev Diaries!

@monoRAIL: Glad it reminds you R-Type (even just a bit), such a reference! I know Hawken, a pretty good mech FPS arena game, but i'll keep Hawkwing as the game's name, as the ship got a hawk's beak front, plus i'm accommodate to it now, and i love it! :D

PS: sorry for the answer delay, i didn't checked the "notify me when a reply is posted" box... :oops:

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:26 am

Wow, you really drew a lot of animation frames for that snake beast! It looks fantastic.

Postby LosGeekosStudio » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Hey!
Sorry to not give informations more regularly, but between daywork, family (i'm daddy), and the evening project development, i don't do enough communication.

Here are the Dev Diaries links, with screenies ;)

Dev Diary 2: Arcade / Story modes

Dev Diary 3: Weapons

Dev Diary 4: Game mechanics

Dev Diary 5: UI, shader, and code

Dev Diary 6: Influences I - hardware

Dev Diary 7: Influences II - games !NEW!

So here they are, i'll try to post next links as they come out.

Don't be shy to comment!
Greg.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:12 am

I like these development diaries. If you're not already posting it on TIGSource you should post it there too. There's an active community reading development blogs on their forum: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=27.0

Postby LosGeekosStudio » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Glad you like these. :)

I'm already posting on TIGSource every week, in fact, i mirror the IndieDB weekly posts.
But as you said, the community is so active there that my post is actually on the 5th page for a 5 day old last post! :D

Postby LosGeekosStudio » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:33 pm

First thing first, Happy New Year 2017! Let's make this year greater than the previous. (not so hard imo)

The work on the game was really slow lately, especially cause i'm daddy, but i managed to finalized few things. One of those, is the poster, or the cover, of the game, so here it is:

Obviously, you can feel the old arcade direction we take with this project. The illustration was done by artist Christophe Sonesaksith, he did a great job capturing the essence of the demo, i really feel it could've been a 16 bit era box illustration!

I personally did a few sketches for the project myself, and i was planning to use these as a cover base before Chris proposed his collaboration.

Far from his incredible work, i admit. :)

Another good news, is that we have few tracks ready to rocks the game, made by Thomas Casamento from The One Man Army Game Studio. The guy did amazing soundtracks for his two previous games Overdriven Reloaded & Jimmy vs Zombies, and accepted to work on Hawkings OST.
Hawkwings OST is a bit different, as i wanted it to sound like it was made on an old ***Megadrive / Genesis*** hardware, you can listen a sample (still WIP) here:

All in all, the project start to have a real identity! What do you think about all of this?

Cheers, Greg. :)

Postby LosGeekosStudio » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Apologize to not post sooner, but the last steps to release the demo take sooo much time.

So what did i do last days? First i created the Hawkwing page on Itch.io !

Then, i made a cover for Hawkwing's soundtracks! You can listen it on the soundcloud of its creator, Thomas Casamento (click on the image below):

Next, the Headquarter captain portrait i made previously was a cameo of Captain Gloval from Robotech, as BentMyWookie (TIGSource) mentionned, making such homage will be ok as long as i give credits to owners (that's what i do in the credits), and as long as the game stay in its free form. As i really don't know if the Demo will eventually become a full game, i prefered simply to redo it. So here come the sketch for him and the final ingame result:

Finally, i added a last part in the stage, new enemy, a new "Throw weapon" mechanic, then updated the Los Geekos Studio site with new screenshot from the actual build (0.9.x), added a new "How to Play" state to the game, reworked the boss intro shader, the credits, added an empty "spectate"/demo mode, added/removed choose your language screen, made few new sprites for FX, made an exe game icon, etc.

The good news is that the game demo **should** be released BEFORE february! So be prepared to save the galaxy! See you! ;D

Next

Return to Showcase