Warbird:A13-02 - The *Barebones* Shmup Template

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

Warbird:A13-02 - The *Barebones* Shmup Template

Postby BPzeBanshee » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 pm

It's come to my attention that GMOSSE isn't as friendly as it used to be. It's certainly outgrown the shoes it was born in, starting from a measly bullet engine example into a fully-fledged WIP game with every options menu function you could possibly want.

And yet, it's a bit unfriendly at the moment. Advanced GML, lots and lots and lots of functions packed in all over the place means that one person aspiring to learn GML in simple steps may be overwhelmed easily. Plus, it's GM-only: there are other platforms out there, other coding languages that are handy to learn but have few shmup-related tutorials or examples supporting it.

To solve this, I give you.....
Warbird!

Screenshots:
ImageImage

Download: Here (last updated September 12, 2012)

Okay, so what makes this any different from GMOSSE?

It's barebones: it started in Flash coded by an aspiring Flash developer (me) and then ported to various current forms of Game Maker including the 'Lite' versions for those who can't afford the full thing. It has nothing more than movement, enemies, bullets, and some core functions like a debug display, score display, lives display, etc. No bullet prediction or TATE or joystick rebinding or anything too fancy: just the absolute basics. As it is based on the GMOSSE engine, such features can be easily added later via inclusion of controller objects.

Note also that there is a Flash version included. This is the original base game project which the GM versions are ports of. Naturally it's going to be different code-wise but I've done a few tricks to make things slightly easier, especially if you know GM already. You might want to research stuff like unsigned integers though. :wink:
Greetings from the land down under! :D

Site Admin

Re: Warbird:A13-02 - The *Barebones* Shmup Template

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Very nice, I'll add this to the list of shmup frameworks on the news page.

Re: Warbird:A13-02 - The *Barebones* Shmup Template

Postby BPzeBanshee » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Cheers! Hopefully guys like hhk should be able to understand at least one of these variants more easily. The GM:Studio one is even more simplified to a point - I had to because of the extreme resource limits in the Free License, so multiple controller objects/bullet types/player parent/child structure were impossible to have.
Greetings from the land down under! :D

Return to Showcase