[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
shmup-dev | forum - View topic - Symbol of Destruction - side-scrolling space shooter

Symbol of Destruction - side-scrolling space shooter

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

Symbol of Destruction - side-scrolling space shooter

Postby 8bit4lif3 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 am

Update: Pre-alpha trailer!

-- original post --

Hello shmup devs/fans,

I'm working on a shmup and I'd like to share my progress / info with you.
I've seen lots of high-quality cool shmups on this site. I'm hoping you're going to like my work as well:

About:

Symbol of Destruction is a side-scrolling space shooter being developed by a one-man indie dev team (with a daytime job).
Aiming to release it on PC / Steam and consoles when it's done.

The game started as a LibGDX prototype I made in 2013 over the course of two weeks.
It already featured the core mechanics that make this game unique (I didn't reveal the details of this mechanic on the internet yet - stay tuned!).
Then life got a bit "dense" and I've put it down for a year.

In 2014 I picked it up again and shown the original prototype at a small local game developer event in Dublin (DubLUDO #15). I was late, so I only got to show it to 2-3 people, but at least I decided to switch over to Unity as a result of having a chat with these other devs. I knew I wanted to target consoles and play the game on the couch with my son one day, so LibGDX wasn't a viable option anymore.
At first I wanted to keep in fully 2D, just do it in Unity. ..but during the first day of the Unity development I realized how interesting it was to do it in 3D instead (2.5D overall, as the controls remain 2D).

I've put in a lot of work since. I also take valuable input from my son (10). A couple of enemies and mechanics actually come from him partially or fully. We even chose the name together. We created a list of name options and got people to vote on them in the Irish Game Developers group. One of his titles and one of my titles got the most votes, the same amount of votes actually. In the end we picked his title, as I too thought that was the better option. ..it was "Symbol of Destruction".

Now that it has a name, I decided to start sharing information/footage on the internet.

Stay tuned and like the Facebook page / follow the Twitter accounts if you liked SoD's 1st footage.

The game's FB page:

The game's Twitter account:

My personal Twitter account:

IndieDB page:

The game's domain (redirects to FB):

Thanks for viewing / reading,
Sandor
Last edited by 8bit4lif3 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Symbol of Destruction - side-scrolling space shooter

Postby 8bit4lif3 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:18 pm

Please check out SoD's pre-alpha trailer:

The first side-scrolling space shooter with fully destructible environment.
Shoot the enemy planet in pieces and use the fragments to attack the enemy and to overcome challenges!

Thanks for any feedback / comment.

Re: Symbol of Destruction - side-scrolling space shooter

Postby TiaoFerreira » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Very interesting game! This is a different challenge.
SENTA A PÚA!

Return to Showcase