[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
shmup-dev | forum - View topic - Rhythm Destruction - Rhythm/Shmup hybrid

Rhythm Destruction - Rhythm/Shmup hybrid

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

Re: Rhythm Destruction - Rhythm/Shmup hybrid

Postby wondersonic » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Very beautiful, fluid, like the dynamic!

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:33 am

This looks great. I'm guessing from the colors that you're supporting the Xbox 360 controller? I've been enjoying RetroGrade on PSN recently, another rhythm/shmup style game, although it's much more of a music game whereas this is closer to a traditional shmup.
It would be great to see this on Steam - I'll back your Greenlight.
| | | |

Postby rainy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:32 pm

This looks excellent. Will back your kickstarter. :D

Good luck with Greenlight too! Let us know how it goes. I'm really curious about how Greenlight is going to work for more niche genres like SHMUPs.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Just had a test run of the demo - it's really polished. The menus and transitions are very slick. Joystick support was great, I played with an Xbox 360 controller.

I found the music volume was very low compared to the explosion sound. I noticed that the music seemed to fade out when I lost a life too, which doesn't help as you need to constantly hear the music to keep with the timing of the attacks.

I found that the very first obstacle in the Dynamo stage wasn't clear - I didn't expect an instant-death collision in the first 5 seconds of the game and assumed my ship would fly over that building. I'd recommend placing the obstacles only on the sides of the screen for the first 20 seconds or so until the player learns that they are dangerous. Also, if I die due to that building, my ship can respawn inside the next building. It's entirely possible to lose all your lives in the first 20 seconds of the stage and not know what happened. This isn't a good introduction to the game.

The design of the ships is very nice, although the player ship is a little close to the Battlestar Galactica Viper, perhaps.

I noticed there was no penalty for hitting the shot button early - usually in a rhythm game you suffer some kind of penalty for pre-empting the notes as well as for being late. This means you can mash the shot buttons before the note is due and still get the points.

One thing that's really lacking is audio feedback on the shooting and explosions. Since audio is such a focus on this game I think there should be an audio effect on the player's shot and enemy explosions in sync with the music. Also, and this may just be my personal taste, but I felt the music wasn't punchy enough. You need a soundtrack that gets people's feet tapping and head nodding to the beat, so that they have no trouble timing the shots. Your music felt a little dated to me, and doesn't have a satisfying beat. Perhaps the tempo is too fast, perhaps the vocals are just getting in the way. Retro/Grade has excellent music for a rhythm/shmup - now of course you shouldn't copy its style as you want to be original, but you can take cues from its heavy, slower tempo beats and the lead melody hitting notes right on the explosion timing.

- skip to 1:10 for the peak in the music.

Looking forward to seeing the final game. If you have time for adjustments before release, then boost the beats in your songs, maybe tone down the vocals and add some audio feedback on explosions.
| | | |

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 am

| | | |

Next

Return to Showcase