[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
shmup-dev | forum - View topic - GMOSSE - The Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine

GMOSSE - The Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

Re: GMOSSE - The Game Maker Open-Source Shmup Engine

Postby BPzeBanshee » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Preliminary support for 2 players. Took a bit of thinking and restructuring (and it helped to start from a new GMK) but so far so good. I covered the nuances a bit more at Shmups Forum, but hopefully by MK-VIII we'll be able to do kusoge co-op matches for the highest chain. :D
Greetings from the land down under! :D

Postby BPzeBanshee » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Hello again! Been quite a while now.

Unfortunately 2P support for GMOSSE has not happened yet, but work has been going towards that eventuality. Most of my time when not at Uni or work is now on a friend's project, .

For the moment, here are some pictures and a brief explanation behind it all:
ImageImage

On the left, we have Xonochrome's graphical update. On the right, the platforms on stage 1 have been refined and rebalanced in a way more fitting to manic shmups, and less to bullet spam.

There's been a lot more happening internally, merging of obj_ctrl_joymap/keymap, merging of HUD controllers, lots of overhauls to try and make the source code as easy to manipulate for your own game as possible. As it stands, things aren't quite ready for a full-fledged release yet though. Soon I shall have a video that covers a few more recent gameplay additions, but in the meantime feel free to read some of my more detailed ramblings over at .

EDIT: And here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZRbBcNU8o4

Postby BPzeBanshee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:24 am

ImageImageImageImage

Download

I'll be blunt: between this and Zenodyne I got quite burnt out, and the work I wanted to get done before this release just wasn't going to get finished without a bit of a push. Besides, it's been over a year and I start to get really nervous when it's been that long in case of data loss etc. So I fixed up what I knew was broke and here we are. If there's bugs, or questions, please let me know.

Main features shown in screenshots are the alterations I've made to the Warbird and Arxyne ships - Warbird has a void shield bomb similar to that of XII Stag (no bonus points for collected bullets though), and Arxyne lost a couple of its homing lasers for a wider shot and a new lightning gun that "penetrates" through objects. You can also see the Omakes, including the stage 1 Omake which may or may not have been in the last public release. I won't tell you the requirements but between the alterations I've made to make them slightly more fair and to make the backgrounds fade to red when they appear you know you're in for a neat ride!

Not so easily shown is the "instant TATE" update I made, but if you've played Zenodyne and messed with the TATE settings there you'll be right at home. GMOSSE has had updates to the menu system among other things, a lot of which was shared with Zenodyne (and vice versa) during its development. Those who know how to read the source may be somewhat horrified with how I pulled it off (see above post) but human eyeballs don't look pretty looking at it from the outside in either once it's been taken out of it's socket. Point is, you can flip the game screen and see the changes straight away - in the menu and ingame. This also applies to window upscaling. x2 upscaling is distorted due to some GM bullshit but x3 looks beautiful.

Readme with a (probably incomplete) changelog is included in the download.

Postby Udderdude » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:23 am

Just posting some random screenshots I took fooling around ..

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Postby BPzeBanshee » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:03 am

Thanks for the screenshots Udderdude!

Been doing a lot of changes lately, internally and externally. And I have cool videos to show! Keep reading.

- New title screen. Video here because it looks better in 480p60 motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz55kvJpWHc

- I actually added this in ages ago but Kaiser drew an alternate sprite for Arxyne.

- Simplified some of the homing laser code also. Arxyne not so much but Xonochrome's homing lasers had a bit of confusing duplicate code that could've been simplified so I did so.

- Turns out GMFMODSimple's FMODAllStop() does what it says on the tin, and not what it says in its own description, so music wasn't getting freed properly in some cases. Fixed this and made some changes to obj_ctrl_music to make line-by-line replacement of the engine with something like XeAudiere a lot easier. Yes, Zenohell was a guinea pig for this but I'm not ready to ditch perfect loop point support for GMOSSE just yet.

- Verbose logging is no more. I found it was more annoying than helpful and just produced overhead I don't think most folks need. Make your own logging to fix your bugs, prospective developers. :3

- Bullet colours can now be changed from the options menu under Misc. Settings. You have the choice of plain red, plain blue or the ring^-27-like mode I've had them running for the last two releases where the bullets default to blue and change to red within proximity of or on collision course with the player.

- Sound play commands no longer get called if the sound volume is set to 0. This is to somewhat help alleviate the select few folks who has dedicated (to-crash-and-burn) PCI sound cards with shitty drivers that cause stutters in GM games, and also folks like myself whose legacy PC's sound card actually died and still want to test the game out without noise.

- Enemy spawners are now a thing. By that I mean objects that actually create enemies rather than bullets. Expect to see some of these in stage 3. Speaking of which....

- Stage 3 is slowly taking shape. It's not ready for video footage yet but the big cruisers in the stage have 6 pads that can be dynamically changed on instance creation to turrets of your choice. Enemy spawners are also supported. The giant plane boss has all 50 of its turrets connected and in sync with its (very little) movement, and can be individually enabled or disabled (so it wont rotate and shoot), but nothing else has been done for it just yet. My work with the cruisers and the giant plane involved a bit of two-dimensional array work to keep things sane and it gave me a lot of headaches initially but hopefully the end result will be easy to understand.

- Quite a few 3D-related changes. Stupid crap code in the 3D enemy objects, along with some really abusive use of instance_change that should never have worked before (and doesn't in ENIGMA) is now gone. scr_3D() itself is now really easy to use, simply set your z value on Create and call scr_3D() in Step, no need for extra rising/falling/z_speed vars now since you control your z value yourself (and by yourself i mean in your object of choice).

- I put my simplified scr_3D() and array control to the test and made Raiden II's walking tank boss at 1am this morning. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CppRELf-BBM

Apparently 480p60 videos are a thing now. I was actually running GMOSSE at 720x960 (ingame upscaling at x3, 240*3,320*3) so it really should've been higher rate but this looks nice too and better than the 240p shit I was getting before.

Postby RipperRoo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:24 am

Haha just read the post on system11 shmups forum and now just saw it here again.

nice work! keep it going!

Postby BPzeBanshee » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Yeah, I've been guilty of not updating threads for this thing on forums outside system11.org for a while so I thought I'd just cross-post the whole lot at once. There's other changes I've made but my sleep pattern is all out of whack and I've probably forgotten a few things - expect more suttle changes and bugfixes in the future. :)

Previous

Return to Showcase