VALKYRIUS - Teleporting Shmup, Now Available!

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

VALKYRIUS - Teleporting Shmup, Now Available!

Postby Iridescent » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:15 am

When interplanetary war threatens to annihilate mankind, only one teleporting fighter has the power to alter the course of history: VALKYRIUS!

Valkyrius is a 2D indie shmup coming out for the PC, and possibly the Xbox Indie Game Marketplace. It focuses on fast paced action and a unique teleportation system.

BUY IT NOW at http://www.iridescentgames.com/valkyrius/buy.html
Coming to DESURA and GREEN MAN GAMING
Steam GREENLIGHT (vote today!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151089139

The beta got a REVIEW: http://theindiemine.com/valkyrius-review/

Oh yeah, and the SOUNDTRACK can be ordered through Band Camp (http://iridescentgames.bandcamp.com/) or through the store link above.

ImageImage
Last edited by Iridescent on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Site Admin

Re: VALKYRIUS - Teleporting Shmup

Postby monoRAIL » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:48 pm

This looks amazing! I'll buy it on Desura for sure, but good luck with the Steam greenlight too, left a vote for you. Have you considered porting it to Ouya?

Postby Iridescent » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:32 am

Thanks for the compliment, for buying, and for voting! I improved some of the graphics, so be sure to check out the new screenshots on Greenlight. As for the Ouya - Valkyrius is programmed in XNA, so I suppose I could make a conversion with something like MonoGame... and an Ouya to test it on. I'd want to see how it sells on the PC before committing the time and money to other platforms though.

Postby Iridescent » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Important announcement: Valkyrius is now available for purchase! Buy it at http://www.iridescentgames.com/valkyrius/buy.html

Site Admin

Re: VALKYRIUS - Teleporting Shmup, Now Available!

Postby monoRAIL » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:35 am

Purchased!

How did you find FastSpring for payments? Are they easy to set up, and how much do they take from your sales?

[edit] Bug Report! - The game crashes when I try to view the global leaderboards. Other than that it's great though, and plays really well with the Xbox 360 controller.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Finally beat Valkyrius tonight. Took a few credits though, don't know if I'll have the skill for a 1cc. I really enjoyed the boss fight at the end. Very much like Ikaruga, but with the teleporting taking the place of color-changing. I thought the water effect in level 4 was great.

For anyone else who hasn't tried this - I highly recommend it, it's very polished and good fun.

Postby Iridescent » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:32 pm

How did you find FastSpring for payments? Are they easy to set up, and how much do they take from your sales?

FastSpring has been pretty good so far. Pretty easy to set up, and quick to get going. Of course, I get more traffic through Green Man and Desura, but FastSpring takes the smallest cut, at 8.9%.

[edit] Bug Report! - The game crashes when I try to view the global leaderboards. Other than that it's great though, and plays really well with the Xbox 360 controller.

Yeah, sorry about that. It was a stupid off-by-1 error, and I fixed it in version 1.0.1.0, which is currently up on FastSpring and Desura, and which should be up on Green Man very very soon. The old version simply doesn't post to the tables now, so it won't crash, but you will only be able to read them. If you want to update, you'll be able to keep your saved settings, and unlocks, but you'll lose the rest of your score data. Other than the online score tables, there's no difference between the two versions. People buying the game now shouldn't see this.

I really enjoyed the boss fight at the end. Very much like Ikaruga, but with the teleporting taking the place of color-changing.

Yeah, I liked the way in Siter Skain's Reflex (great game if you haven't tried it btw) they have a portion nearly identical Ikaruga, but it plays very differently because of the game's mechanics. While I didn't go as far as they did in terms of pattern similarity, I thought it would be fun to see if the same kind of thing would work in my game for a pattern or two.

I thought the water effect in level 4 was great.

That's good to hear - it took a lot of tweaking to get looking right.

For anyone else who hasn't tried this - I highly recommend it, it's very polished and good fun.

Thanks! I really appreciate the positive feedback, and I'm glad you liked it!

Return to Showcase