[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
shmup-dev | forum - View topic - Zenzizenzic (playable!)

Zenzizenzic (playable!)

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.
Site Admin

Re: Zenzizenzic (playable!)

Postby monoRAIL » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Can't beat your hard score though - hard mode is really hard! By the way, I only use the black-hole. Perhaps it's overpowered, or perhaps you've intended it to be used like this, but I constantly fire a black-hole nearby to use as a shield. I don't use the other weapons as it's safer to keep my energy for black-holes.

A suggestion - when you lose a life (and the player's collision is turned off for a few seconds) it would be nice if you could still collect your dropped pickups immediately rather than having to wait for the invulnerability to wear off before you can collect them. Alternatively, when the player loses a life you could wipe all bullets, or all nearby bullets to give them some breathing room. This would make a big difference on hard mode, where the screen can fill with bullets and it's common to lose lives quickly in succession.
| | | |

Postby Zenzizenzic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Hmm, think I need to make black hole a bit worse when it's used with a lower amount of energy spend on it. That might make it a bit safer against "exploitative" uses. Personally I prefer using time jump on hard though :)

I've heard it more often that it's a bit of a pain that you can't immediately recollect powerups after getting hit, makes it a bit difficult to recover and get back in the groove of things. Will take a look at it.

Btw, would you be okay if I mentioned you as well as www.shmup-dev.com in the credits? You've been a great help!

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:36 am

Rather than nerfing the black hole, you could buff the other weapons so they're more useful. The missiles feel pretty useless at the moment, as it feels like the upgraded gun does more damage. Lasers and Laser pods are good (btw they're spelled with an S not a Z) but I still prefer to save my energy for life-saving black-holes rather than spend it on damage.

Glad to help, a mention of shmup-dev would be great!
| | | |

Postby Zenzizenzic » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Indie Statik posted quite an awesome article on Zenzizenzic! :D

http://indiestatik.com/2013/06/23/zenzizenzic/

Postby Zenzizenzic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:18 am

New version is up. Playing on a 16:10 resolution with the mouse returns in a few issues with mouse position, so either use a controller, or play in 16:9 resolution. Hope to get the time to have that fixed soon.

You can download the new version here: http://www.bithuffel.nl/zenzizenzic.zip

And here's a gameplay video I whipped up last night: http://youtu.be/ZggvugkjYiM

(edit: changing the credits is up for the next version btw ;))

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:28 am

Some nice changes in this version. I like that I can pick up my dropped power-ups quickly, and the bonus stage pattern is more interesting. I think you've over-nerfed the black hole however... it doesn't work at all any more! It doesn't appear to deflect bullets or damage enemies at all! I found myself switching to the time-jump ability since black hole doesn't work now, but I still stuck with lasers as the offensive weapon. They seem like the only option to clear out a whole screen of enemies (when you line your shot up correctly). The missiles and laser pods really play the same, and just offer your 'more firepower' rather than additional options, which black hole and lasers do.

With the charge shot, I find that I nearly always accidentally detonate it, because I'm holding the right stick in the direction I want it to shoot, then when I release the button to fire it, I start shooting in that direction immediately and destroy it too soon.

Obviously the black hole was too powerful before, but I think it needs to be quite strong to be a viable alternative to the time jump. I'd get rid of charge shot, as it's just an inferior black hole, and I'd also think about making missiles and laser-pods more interesting, so that they encourage the player to use them in a creative way.
| | | |

Postby Zenzizenzic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:39 am

Cool, I made the bonus level a little more exciting on the hard and medium difficulty as well yesterday. Changed the last part to make it different between easy, medium and hard.

I actually also changed the charge shot to have a 1 second delay before it can be hit by player bullets. The black hole ability is actually a bit bugged. It doesn't activate at all sometimes. I fixed it already and will upload a new build this weekend. I will see if I can tweak it a bit to increase its performance on lower charge levels a bit more.

But yeah, it's difficult. The missiles are more of a easy to use weapon for easy difficulty (and medium to a slightly lesse extent), bit of a newbie weapon let's say. Laser pods take up somewhat of a similar position, which is not really ideal. Laser is a base weapon which retains its usefulness as sort of a primary damage dealing weapon, which can then be supplemented with a different weapon, something homing (for ease of use) or something with more utility (for more skilled usages).

The way it's structured is that the weapons appeal to different skill levels. So after a while you do drop the use of, let's say the missiles, as you've outgrown them in favor of more difficult to use weapons and at higher difficulties when utility weapons become more of a necessity. So it would actually make sense to communicate that in the game, both in text and possibly with a system of unlocking the weapons over progress. Although I'm still a bit hesitant to introduce an unlocking system, since I enjoy it to be able to do what I want to do in a game straight away without having to unlock stuff a be restricted. But then again, progression is a powerful mechanic and restricting players to certain options is a good way to have them learn and understand the flow of a game. So, well, still considering it haha.

But overall yeah, the charge shot and the laser pods pale a bit compared to the more exotic black hole and time jump and feel as if they are in a bit of a weird place, considering the outgrowing of weapons. It's more likely to go from the missiles and laser straight to the black hole and time jump, probably preferring the time jump until the level and difficulty is known well enough that the black hole can be utilised to get higher scores by focusing on destroying bullets with it (where the trick becomes more of preemptively charging it before a certain enemy appears and then swallowing all its fired bullets and repeating this pattern to milk certain enemies from their potential points).

Something to think of is a weapon which offensively sits on the same level as the laser, so it can function as an alternative primary damage weapon. The laser pods could possibly fit that role, but probably need to be a bit stronger. Perhaps having the beams they fire be persistant, rather than fast moving projectiles, might be something. With it automatically seeking out enemies and the laser beams tracing these enemies might be a cool effect, although it'll quickly border on being too strong, depending on how quickly it kills enemies and seeks out a new target. The charge shot is nice in a way that you can charge it up, release it, and sit with your ship on the actual bullets, making it a shield which travels through enemies and bullets and damaging / destroying them. Then at a certain point when you see it fit you start shooting while on top of the charge shot bullet and it releases a large shockwave, again destroying bullets. But it's possibly not really enough. You lose out too much on actually killing stuff.

Also changed it so btw, that now you can still fire while a charge weapon is done charging, but you're still holding onto it. That way you save the charged bullet for the right moment, while still being able to shoot (and thus possibly further increasing its charge by picking up resources while holding onto the charged bullet), but of course while having slower movement as a trade-off.

But there's a need for new weapon ideas! Haha, easier said than done unfortunately xD

Thanks again for the feedback :)

Postby kdmiller3 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:39 am

The right analog stick on the 360 controller needs a much larger deadzone. Right now it pretty much fires constantly even when you don't want it to (such as when trying to get the zero point achievement).

Postby Zenzizenzic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 am

Postby Zenzizenzic » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase