[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
shmup-dev | forum - View topic - Zenzizenzic (playable!)

Zenzizenzic (playable!)

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

Re: Zenzizenzic

Postby Zenzizenzic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for the info :)

Yeah, I've been trying to create some satisfactory test sfx the past week or so with AudioGL, FL Studio, Audacity, even Garageband, and also SFXR (I'll check out Goldwave). But I got no fitting results for Zenzizenzic. A lot of explosions and other activity on the screen in an abstract environment (which calls for a certain minimalistic sound effects design, a realistic-ish explosion sound sounds odd since it's not visually supported) without making it all obnoxious and machine gun like is quite the challenge and getting it right and is going to take a lot of time. It made me also, slightly jokingly, slightly serious, consider of not actually implementing any sfx. It would support the minimalistic design and lend more weight to the music (the music will be awesome btw ;p), but will also slightly disconnect the player from what's happening on the screen since there's no audial feedback. But well, I should probably just keep going at it, the problem is just that it takes a lot of time and I don't have that much of it. Perhaps I should find somebody who is willing to give it a shot, hm.

Postby Zenzizenzic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Couple of screens of the bonus level I'm working on!

http://zenzizenzicblog.tumblr.com/post/ ... onus-level

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:18 am

Check out Linley's Garden of Coloured Lights for some great minimal SFX.

| | | |

Postby Zenzizenzic » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:06 am

Postby Zenzizenzic » Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Demo is getting there! I’d say about 2-3 more weeks to go!

Postby Zenzizenzic » Sat May 18, 2013 10:20 am

Zenzizenzic will be playable at Anime 2013, the largest anime con in the Netherlands, on Saturday the 1st of June, which is really cool :) The demo is still in development and might be pushed back a bit because the event, but I'm really looking forward to hearing the feedback from people checking it out.

http://www.animecon.nl/

Postby Zenzizenzic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:41 am

The game is playable now! It's a test version for the demo release, so I'd love to receive feedback on how to further improve this build.

Check the first post of the thread for the details.

Site Admin

Re: Zenzizenzic (playable!)

Postby monoRAIL » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:37 pm

| | | |

Postby Zenzizenzic » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Awesome! Thank you for checking it out as well as for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed it :)

The music level is a little high, I can only just hear the power-up/power-down sounds, and they're quite important.
That can be fixed! I still want to add volume sliders in the volume, but that requires a good bit of remixing of sound effects since I was dumb in the way I set it up. Didn't had the time just yet.

The shield and weapon pickups are visually too similar, I think they should look more different.
Hmm, I agree. Also been considering options to make them a bit more apparent from the background and the other pickups.

The bonus stage was great, but I always died at the point where the thin diamond of lasers guides you up the screen then changes direction abruptly.
Yes, that still bugs me as well. I got used to it, but it's a bit too unexpected. Twitch gameplay is alright, but as long as it's actually doable :p Will be changed!

You spelled "Pause" incorrectly in the options screen.
Thanks for catching that.

When playing fullscreen, the GUI elements are so far away that I hardly notice them. I saw some scoring info in the top left corner, but never really paid attention to it. Scoring info might be better located directly on-top of the enemies as they're killed. I also saw the lives and energy meter at the bottom of the screen, but there isn't really time to glance down there when you're dodging bullets. I think it would be good to mirror this information on a GUI that floats around the player.
I mostly want to give the players a completely free screen so that they can focus on the ships, enemies and bullets. Bullets are priority, and everything that could possibly obstruct view or muddle it come second. I thought about floating scores, but decided against it to avoid clutter on screen. But I might revisit it and possibly add it as an option to enable. Which I might also do then for the energy bar and lives as a gui that floats around the player. There's still a "gameplay" section I want to add to the Options, which also includes turning off the screenshake. Those two things could be added to that as well then :) Good stuff!

I'm hearing a lot that the difficulty is a bit too much. So I was considering some options to make it a bit more forgiving. One thing that sounds viable is allowing players to sacrifice score to gain a life. Let's say 250k points on Easy, 500k on Medium and 750k on Hard. Maximum lives would still be 3. This way you still remain the same playing field in getting high scores but allow players to actually complete the level with a bit less frustration. This would possibly require to make the score also a bit more visible on screen.

Postby Zenzizenzic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 am

Damnit, you beat my medium score ;p

The floating points text on enemies as they are killed actually works quite nicely. It gives a lot of feedback and seeing the points rewarded increase as your combo increases is quite cool.

Possibly another interesting mechanic to add in (I'm going to have to be careful not to stuff too many mechanics in it!) is grazing bullets to increase your combo multiplier. Visually it would be easy to communicate when you are grazing an enemy since it would happen when the bullet passes through the body of the ship, while of course avoiding the hitbox of the core. Might be something cool to try out.

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase