Zenzizenzic (playable!)

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

Zenzizenzic (playable!)

Postby Zenzizenzic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:59 am

DOWNLOAD THE GAME
-- direct download / 59mb size / zip folder --

Hi! I'd like to present Zenzizenzic to you, an abstract high octane twin stick shoot 'em up currently in development for PC.

Zenzizenzic is a fast paced twin-stick shoot 'em up. Weave through intricate bullet patterns, destroy enemies and bullets and rank your score among the greatest and beat various challenges. Play with up to two players and use a variety of weapons to blast thy foes to smithereens and clear a path to victory.

I'd love to receive feedback. This build is meant for bug testing and balance testing (as well as, hopefully, enjoying it of course!). Things to look out for:
- Do the controls function as expected
- Do the weapons function as expected
- How does it perform concerning PC performance (CPU load), where does it tank
- Does the balance between easy, medium and hard feel right
- Can you beat the top highscore(!)
- And so on

Input on possible new, awesome weapons or other aspects of the game is always appreciated! It might be added to the game!

It's optimized for an XBox360 controller, so if you have one, plug it in. It can also be played with mouse and keyboard however. As it's a Unity game, installation is not required.

Thank you so much if you took the time to give it a spin!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

TWITTER - FACEBOOK - TUMBLR - YOUTUBE

Without any practical knowledge on game design and development, except for what was garnered over the course of 15 to 20 or so years of playing games, I set out to build a game myself. I didn't know a damn thing, except for what feels right and what doesn't in a game.  

It was Novemeber 2012, just graduated and unemployed, when I installed Unity3D, the well known video game development engine. Pleasantly surprised with the relative ease of moving around and messing about in the engine I started to learn some coding.  By going through some tutorials and with the help of the Unity community I was able to get a fairly decent footing on how to work with the engine. I was still horrible at it though.  

The game to be build would need to be fairly easy to make (due to my lack of skills), but should feel really tight to play and be a challenge to beat. The genre which came to mind was a 2D shoot 'em up. It's a genre I always had a fascination for, imagining really skilled people maneuvering through a veritable murderous maze of bullets in a vertical scrolling environment.  

The plan was to start with a limited scope, a simple idea. Just a single level, a couple of shooting abilities, points and that's it. Not surprisingly, all the while still unemployed, that limited scope was gradually expanded until hardly anything of it remained.  Additional movement controls were introduced, more weapons were added, challenges, difficulties, 2 player gameplay, bonus levels, and so on. "Luckily" I was still unemployed, giving me the time to do all this stuff.  

The graphics always remained to look prototype-ish though. That's something I didn't want to mess with. Firstly to prevent me from crapping all over it (I'm no graphical artist), and secondly to save time. I dubbed the project Zenzizenzic, it's a mathematical term referring to squares and stuff, which fits the theme of the game.  

Bignic, known from the awesome game Zombies., was willing to lend his music to Zenzizenzic and the pieces started to come together and an actual game was starting to take shape.  

A couple of months and lots of probably poor coding later, I'm able to present you this as the demo of Zenzizenzic, my first venture in game development and design. Hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to finish Zenzizenzic up and offer you the full game. But for now I hope you're able to enjoy this brief taste of many things to come!  

~Ruud Koorevaar
Last edited by Zenzizenzic on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

Site Admin

Re: Zenzizenzic

Postby monoRAIL » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:57 am

This looks great. You've got some really nice enemy bullet patterns going on, and I like how the enemies enter quickly and then slow down - makes for very smooth motions. Looking forward to a demo!

Postby Zenzizenzic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks! Much appreciated!

I'll be sure to keep you posted here on future updates and hopefully some time soon I'll be able to release a playable test build :)

Postby Zenzizenzic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 am

New blog post added where I take a look at how I approach the level design.

Postby Zenzizenzic » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Here are a couple of new screenshots showing some slight design changes in the enemies, the player and some other bits and pieces!

Here's the link to the blogpost: http://zenzizenzicblog.tumblr.com/post/ ... wing#notes

And here are the links to the screens separately:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/34d88ea167e6 ... 1_1280.png
http://25.media.tumblr.com/61a8cab35e31 ... 2_1280.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/5be96039cb3d ... 3_1280.png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/27c7debc048a ... 4_1280.png
http://25.media.tumblr.com/48b969b1db87 ... 5_1280.png

Let me know what you think! :)

Postby kdmiller3 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:55 am

I think it's a significant improvement. It keeps the geometric styling but adds more detail and variety. :)

Postby Zenzizenzic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

kdmiller3 wrote:I think it's a significant improvement. It keeps the geometric styling but adds more detail and variety. :)

Great to hear, thank you! I have no graphical art skills to speak of, but am a sucker for symmetry, so I think this works out :)

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:59 am

Looks great - I hope you'll have a demo soon.

Postby Zenzizenzic » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks! :)

I'm planning on releasing a demo sometime soon!

I'm wondering, what's your guys' opinion on implementing something similar to Super Meatboy's warp zones, reminiscent of the old school bonus levels in Mario? What I'm thinking about is when you went through the level as an excellent killing machine (i.e. performing really well and triggering all the optional waves to spawn (they spawn when you were able to kill normal waves quickly enough -> skill and level knowledge required)), that an area in the level appears, right before the boss of the level spawns, which when you enter it (optional, after a few seconds it fades) teleports you to a new level in which a challenge is introduced (like simply surviving, without any shooting). After completing or failing this challenge (you have a single life in there) you are returned to the point before the boss and continue as normal, but with the bonus points from the survival challenge. Do you think this would have a place in Zenzizenzic? Do you think this would be a cool addition? Don't think it has been implemented before in a shmup, so I wonder how it would feel like with it being in there in the way I described.

Also, a couple of new screens of the boss battle I'm currently working on are live! http://zenzizenzicblog.tumblr.com/post/ ... oss-battle

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:32 am

I noticed on your Tumblr blog you were considering leaving out sound effects as they're too difficult. Try using SFXR (free) to create initial sounds, then modify them with Goldwave (shareware, but free for basic use).

Next

Return to Showcase