[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
shmup-dev | forum - View topic - [WIP] FINAL BOSS

[WIP] FINAL BOSS

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

[WIP] FINAL BOSS

Postby Eboshidori » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Greetings everyone!

I'm here to present you a Game Maker shooter simply known as...

At its heart FB is rather traditional, vertically scrolling shoot'em up. You dodge bullets, shoot down ton of enemies and bosses, and (most likely) die few times while attempting for a new high score. After defeating each stage boss you may choose between two weapon upgrades to increase your firepower. But as your arsenal grows larger, so do the challenges before you...

Me and my friend eebrozgi have been working on this project for quite some time already but it's still far from finished. The current demo consists of two and a half stages (the third stage being incomplete), three difficulty levels, co-op and some small secret extras.
Although the demo is already a bit outdated, we would be glad if you gave it a try and shared some of your thoughts and criticism. Our progress may be slow but we do our best listening all the feedback we can get.

You can download the latest demo from here:

Demo version 2012/02/05

At the moment we're working on:
- Upgrading High Score table
- Finishing Stage 3
- Redesigning parts of Stage 2
- Tweaking the score system
- Redrawing ALL the backgrounds

Screenshots:
Image Image Image

Gameplay footage:

Re: [WIP] FINAL BOSS

Postby hhk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:13 am

I tried the demo this morning and I don't really see any issues with the game except that the ship speed is way too slow compared to enemy fire, but thats just me I think, I'm not used to that kind of movements.
I really like the yellow/blue graphical style, and if the backgrounds are planned to look like in the second video its just going to look great

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 am

Wow, this is so polished for a work-in-progress. I really enjoyed it. Great graphics, classic chip-tune audio, a nice variety of bosses and enemies. The care and attention given to this game really shows. The explosions are very satisfying and you get a warning for enemies approaching from behind, which I really appreciate. The first stage reminded me of Cho Ren Sha 68k with the fast-scrolling layered background and enemies on the sides. The second stage seems like a tribute to Guxt. I haven't got to the third stage yet, which shows it's not too easy :)

No criticisms from me, the player speed felt ok, I think it's the right speed to dodge the bullet patterns in the boss fights.

How many stages are you planning for the full game? I hope you'll find the time to complete it - it's looking really great so far.
| | | |

Postby TiaoFerreira » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Cool game! It reminds me CHO-REN-SHA.
SENTA A PÚA!

Postby Eboshidori » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks for the comments!

@hhk
Few people have suggested adding a speed control setting. Although we aren't quite sure how to implement such feature, I think it's certainly something to look more into in the future.

@monoRAIL
The full game is going to have four stages in total. We'd originally planned five stages but then we looked back how long it took us to get this far... And decided that we would actually like to see this game finished one day! So instead we're just trying to make the remaining stages as robust as possible while trimming away unnecessary fat - which is one of the reasons parts of Stage 2 are going through major ovehaul.

And yes, both Guxt and ChoRenSha (among many, many other shooters) have inspired us quite a lot.

Postby kdmiller3 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Awesomesauce :)

The embedded Youtube videos don't do it justice since they can't capture the smoothness of 60 FPS.

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:58 am

| | | |

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Having played this a little more, I finally have something to criticize. The rocket weapon which some enemies fire (they seek the player slightly and have a smoke trail behind them) is confusing. The space between the smoke particles is too high I think, which makes it hard to tell which is a rocket and which is a trail, particularly when many of them fire together. If the trail was denser (by reducing the spacing) then you'd more easily see the rocket leading the trail, and might have a chance to navigate through the rocket barrage safely. At the moment I find it mainly a matter of luck if I can pass through the rockets because I can't really tell where they are.
| | | |

Postby Eboshidori » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Yeah, those missiles have caused some flak before and I've really started see why they bug people off. Thus we've decided to make smoke trails denser as you suggested and reduce their health. Just to clarify: the missiles can be destroyed although it can be quite cumbersome since they're so small and relatively sturdy. I should probably redraw those things as well...

Nevertheless, we're glad you brought it up since small things like that are ones that usually get overlooked. I mean, I've been playing/testing this game so long I'd already grown accustomed to the way missiles worked. Thankfully when people keep pointing out the obvious issues it becomes easier to see these problems from a fresh point of view. So keep them coming!

Postby Raideen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12 am

everyone above my post had already put their adore towards this more than decent freeware shmup
so after played couple minutes - I do a vote, too
looking forward the really finished version!

request:
made its control available with mouse

Next

Return to Showcase