[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
shmup-dev | forum - View topic - Star.P.G.

Star.P.G.

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

Star.P.G.

Postby Paul Wortmann » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Star.P.G. is a cross-platform 2D side-scrolling shoot-em-up written with C++, SDL and OpenGL.

Features:

- Six unique experience based weapons with three levels each.
- Five different shields.
- Three different thrusters.
- Bomb and health support drops.
- Various power-ups.
- Four unique side helper ships, each having 3 levels of awesomeness!!!
- Twenty five levels.

Game download:

Linux -
Windows -

Keys:

- "Left" -> Move left.
- "Right" -> Move right.
- "Up" -> Move up.
- "Down" -> Move down.
- "Space" -> Fire weapon. (best if you hold it down)
- "B" -> Use a collected bomb.
- "P" -> Pause.
- "ESC -> Menu, Quit.
- "Enter" -> Select.

*Mouse is only required for the menu.

Site Admin

Re: Star.P.G.

Postby monoRAIL » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Paul, Star P.G. looks like a pretty big game. I've only played the first level and took a look at the customization screens, but if it's still in development I have a few suggestions for you on how to improve it.

Firstly, the player moves much faster when moving diagonally. It's important in a shmup that the player's ship moves at a consistent speed so that you can dodge bullets.

Also, the player's main gun feels very underpowered at first, mainly because the shots are starting out so slow. It's actually possible to overtake your own shots, which leaves you very vulnerable. It can be hard to kill enemies who have shot already as their bullets will cancel out your own ones.

Enemy bullets destroying the player bullets is very unusual in a shmup, and while I'm not saying you shouldn't try something original, this might be something you could reconsider as this also makes the player feel very underpowered.

By the way, great to see support for Linux - I've recently started using Ubuntu on one of my computers and I find it a really nice OS. I'm looking forward to seeing more Linux games in the future since Valve have announced their support for the platform.
| | | |

Postby Paul Wortmann » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:41 am

Hello monoRAIL.
Thank you for taking the time to play my game and for your positive feedback.
Well, Star.P.G. is no longer under active development. I still do bug fixes and make minor improvements occasionally. I stopped working on it around December 2011 and then moved onto a new project. I am currently working on an RPG. I really do like making shoot-em-up type games, and am keen to start a new one.
When I started Star.P.G. I didn't think all that much about where the game was headed and what features I wanted to implement, needless to say the code isn't structured very well. The code base for the RPG I am currently working on is derived from Star.P.G., but I have re-written a lot of it in the process and added more features and improvements. So I think after I finish the RPG, I will make another shoot-em-up.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions, I will definitely keep them in mind for my next shoot-em-up!

1. With regards to the diagonal movement, I hadn't actually thought about it before, I had noticed it previously when writing the joystick code, but didn't think it was an issue. Thinking about it more, I understand why the movement should be consistent in all directions, an I will modify Star.P.G. In the future to correct the diagonal movement. I will definitely keep this in mind for the next shoot-em-ups I make.
2. I didn't plan the game very well from the start, so when I added additional weapons I tried to balance them by having some shoot faster than others. You can uses the slow bullets to your advantage if you move backwards and allow them to stack, although this is not a planned feature. I tried to address the issue of vulnerability by adding the regenerative shield.
3. Having bullets destroying bullets allows for more explosions and shrapnel, I though this would make the game more visually appealing. I suppose having fewer bullets that the player has to dodge would also be a nice approach.

Yeah, Linux is the new frontier for game development! I am considering making Star.P.G. more Ubuntu friendly, namely the locations it stores its config/log files etc.

I'm not sure how much more work I will do on Star.P.G., I think it would be better if I started a new shoot-em-up from scratch, but actually planned it in detail on paper before writing any code.
I will no doubt take your helpful suggestions into account, thank you.

Postby TiaoFerreira » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:33 pm

I vote you must finish this game. Every shmup fans need new challenge to win!
SENTA A PÚA!

Return to Showcase