Space Tàu (iOS super pixellated shmup)

Post your finished games or work-in-progress here.

Space Tàu (iOS super pixellated shmup)

Postby phi6 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

So I've been working on this small game for a couple of months now, it is basically your R-Type inspired retro shmup for the iPhone. At the moment I am focusing on epic boss battles.

Pretty happy with the general gameplay so far, but I still need to add some structure to the levels and also implement the boring stuff (menus, achievements etc..)

Screenshots:

Early Boss Trailer:

My question to you guys:
What do you think of modern bullet hell games? In my opinion they look very pretty but everything is scripted so it is much more of a memory game. With mine there is a lot of random behaviour and AI that reacts to the player. Also enemy spawns are random, so the emphasis is more skill based (I hope!)... every encounter is unique.

And I have yet to determine what the final boss will be :)

Site Admin

Re: Space Tàu (iOS super pixellated shmup)

Postby monoRAIL » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:16 pm

This looks fantastic! The graphics reminds me of Guxt. What engine are you making it with?

Random enemies can be good, so long as they're still paced well - starting out easy and progressing to tougher enemies.

Postby phi6 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Thank you monoRail! Actually guxt was one of my inspirations for this game, although this is the first time I've ever done pixel art so the graphics aren't as clean as Monogatari's.

Progressively difficult enemies is a given, I'm also thinking of using some kind of force layout algorithm to make sure enemies don't overlap when generated.

I think the end goal is to make the levels look as hand crafted as possible, without actually doing so!

EDIT - Forgot to answer your question. The game is coded in Flash and compiled to iOS and Android via AIR. Currently I'm using the FlashPunk game engine, but I'm considering porting this over to Starling to get native performance from the mobile GPU.

Postby TiaoFerreira » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:16 am

phi6, I made similar egine in PIXEL FIGHTERS. My game not is padronized bullet hell, Ive built an AI system, using trigonometry.

See:

I've learned with GOOGLEY(Raiden-X's author) to create enemies with smart aiming. The system calculates the player position (x,y) and the enemies shoot that position, and if they miss, they engage a pursuit to the player, and NEVER GIVE UP, hehehhe!

Two simple counters commands the time of shoot, according with distance from player.

In AS1 and AS2, I made the follow:

First, I've created a variable called "mira" (aim), and I gave it the value = 0;
When the game runs, mira = mira + 1, and it goes to max 360;
When mira>360, back to value zero.

After that, I've created some commands for shoot, based on "mira" values, like follow example:

if (_root.mira < 10 and _root.mira > 15){
shoot();
}

This mean that enemy will open fire, starting when mira<10 and it will stop when mira>15. This means that enemy fires 5 bullets.

For aditional bullets, like a shotgun charge, I can add other simple command lines, like follow:

shoot(number of angle); --> this generates a bullet fired in other direction, according you desire. The system understands 0º, by default.

In vertical games, 0º means that the ship will fire from down to up.

For your game, the default shot would be 90º.

Warning: I've tried simplify the idea, the real code has some particularities.

The enemies NEVER shoot like the preview time, because everything changes when an enemy enter in screen again.

For enemies pursuit player, I've used the same concepts of HOMING MISSILES, replacing the missiles by enemy ships, heheh!

Totally kamikaze!

I have no idea how to do that in AS3, the sintax is different...
SENTA A PÚA!

Postby phi6 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:52 am

Thanks Tiao!
I had a look at your Pixel Fighters game on your website, I like it a lot. Some ideas to think over :)

Site Admin

Postby monoRAIL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:26 am

What's your release plan phi6 - are you going to sell it for a dollar or two, or will it be free with an in-app upgrade?

Return to Showcase